Due to new policies in MN, limiting gatherings and concerns for high rates of Covid, the Midwest Region Biathlon race scheduled to be held at MT Itasca on December 5th and 6th has been postponed. Bill Meyer and VladCervenka will be monitoring the situation closely and rescheduling the race when it is considered safe to do so.
Please pass this information on to the clubs and biathletes you work with.
First, both the daycamp and the race have capped numbers [20 and 25 respectively] and we are at or very close to the caps. If you want to go onto a waiting list, please get in touch with me.
As I checked the COVID statistics this morning, MN appears to be experiencing a big spike in both new positive cases and related deaths. We will need to watch this closely for the next two weeks.
Meanwhile, whether you are planning on coming to ER or not, but especially if you are, PLEASE be very careful over the next two weeks, wear your mask when indoors and social distance where possible. And wash wash wash. Keep your hands away from your face. Try really hard not to become a statistic!!!
You should also get your annual flu shot as soon as possible.
If we all take these precautions now, and no one comes to the end of the month events feeling under the weather, I think we can be pretty much assured we aren’t bringing the virus to the gatherings.
AT THE EVENTS, MASKS WILL BE REQUIRED UNLESS YOU ARE ON THE FIRING LINE OR SKIING. SOCIAL DISTANCE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. We will have extra rifle racks down at the firing line on Saturday and during zero on Sunday. All spectators, coaches, and officials should be masked at all times. Please spread out!
If these rules bother you, please stay home. No one should end up regretting they came sick and passed it on, or on the other hand, be concerned because someone else is trying to be macho!!!
Now, this morning we woke up to this:
It is too early to predict the weather two weeks out, but watch your email after next weekend. We may need to modify our plans. While roller skiing with a skim of snow on the ground is futile, running, hill bounding, and shooting all work fine.
In any case, be careful, be safe, and keep an eye on your email for updates!!
The best season of the year is on its way!! Bill Meyer, Coach MNBiathlon
Big schedule changes and reservations for the upcoming daycamp and last rollerski race at ER
Good Afternoon All!!!
Ok—top of the news is that the USBA Youth and Junior Worlds Team Trials have been moved from Anchorage to Mt Itasca, and the dates changed to 28th-31st of Jan. All biathletes in the Jr, Youth and <17 age class should participate. I am checking for eligibility ages for the US team on the <17, but the experience is invaluable for all!!
We will have the first Midwest Regional races or MN Cups the first weekend in Dec at Mt Itasca. More to be announced soon on that schedule—and of course both are subject to COVID and snowmaking temps!!
We are also going to change the dates of some of the MN Cup races in Dec and early Jan. For sure we will have MN Cup races or makeup Midwest Regional races during Christmas Holiday—likely on the 2nd and 3rd of Jan at Mt Itasca. The MN Cup #3 scheduled for the 13th at Mt Itasca will be one of those now and the 13th race will be cancelled.
CXC has moved the Michigan JNQ qualifier to Duluth on the 12th and 13th of Dec. I would suggest you jump into that or the one the following weekend at Mt Itasca for the upper level ski experience.
Ok—now as to the upcoming daycamp at Elk River on the 31st of Oct and the last roller ski biathlon race there on the 1st of Nov. So far response has been heavy! If you want to participate in the daycamp or the race you need to let me know ASAP. We have 20 slots for the daycamp and I think 13 are taken. We have a cap of 25 for the race and have about 20 signed up so far.
So again, please let me know if you want to attend!!