For anyone with an interest in the May shooting camp at Mt Itasca, I wanted to be sure you got the information regarding cancelling until we find out more about the virus spread and get further guidelines from the Governor. At that camp we spend a lot of time in close contact with the athletes while fitting rifles and adjusting shooting positions, so ‘social distancing’ would not work.
My hope is to be able to somehow combine that with our June shooting camps—but time only will tell.
Bill Meyer, Coach
Good Morning to All!!
As you might have anticipated, MN Cup #7 is cancelled. Mt Itasca has good snow [as does Nisswa] but in light of the current fight against the coronavirus, Vlad and the rest of our coaches feel it is unwise to pull everyone together for the race.
Currently the cases in MN are still on the rise with something like 77 confirmed up from 50 or so yesterday. Perhaps the bigger issue is the 1700 samples waiting for test kits. As the Governor said, you have to presume there was a good reason to take those samples. But with the heavy precautions in place, we seem to be slowing the spread. If we had doubled every day—the potential would have been astronomical!! Fortunately that seems to have been stymied!
So while we keep our social distance—it is both healthy and prudent to get out the door and get in some easy training by yourself. If you are focused on biathlon as your main sport, you should be doing a “recovery month” during the upcoming month anyway. Enjoy some alternate activities, ski more if you have snow, and generally let your body recover and get back in balance!! You can also start in preparation for the next training year beginning in mid April with some “Prestrength” to again help you get back in balance by toning up some muscles you didn’t use skiing along with stretching out the overused ski muscles. See the file here:
Enjoy the Journey!
Bill Meyer, Coach
Dear Biathlon Family:
I regretfully announce that US Biathlon Association has determined that in the interest of the participants, staff, and the general public, the 2020 US Biathlon National Championships and North American Championships is cancelled.
Guidance from US Biathlon Association medical advisors and Team doctors, and the rapidly developing situation surrounding the covid-19 outbreak, have influenced this decision. The declarations on March 13 of both State and National states of emergency, and additional emerging guidance regarding limiting the potential for the spread of the virus were also important considerations in this decision.
The Organizing Committee for this event is deeply saddened to have to cancel. Refunds for registrations will be processed as quickly as possible.
The Rendezvous Ski Trails and Biathlon Range remain open and available for any teams or individuals who still wish to use them. Conditions remain excellent. Please contact me to schedule range use.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Chief of Competition
Hosted by Mt. Itasca Nordic Ski Association
In light of the current fight against the coronavirus, we coaches feel it is unwise to pull everyone together for the race.
Date: Saturday March 21, 2020
Place: Mt. Itasca, Coleraine
Race Format: Mass Start (PPSS)
Distance: Women- 7.5k
Men – 10k
Novice race- 4k
Registration: 9:30 AM – 9:55 AM ( day registration only)
Zero: 10:00 AM – 10:30AM
Race Start: 10:45 AM – Mass Start
11:30 AM Novice safety instruction and practice
11:45 Start of Novice race
Cost: $20 (cash or check payable to MINSA)
Questions? call Vlad 218 256 8323 or e-mail email@example.com
Weekend shooting camp at Mt Itasca to kick off the New year—15-17 May
Week long June camp at Mt Itasca—15-21 June
Followup short week camp at Elk River on roller skis—27 June – 1 July
August Vermont camp and Summer Nationals—1 Aug to 9 August. Races 8/9 Aug.
Summer roller ski races at ER:
- Thurs 25 June [between camps]
- Thurs 16 July
- Thurs 13 August
- Fall Fest 17/18 Oct [camp on Saturday race on Sunday]